Kathleen joined Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen in 2007 and works in the firm’s Fredericksburg office. Her practice is focused exclusively on personal injury cases including car accidents, pedestrian accidents, and catastrophic injury cases. She believes that every client deserves to be heard, and she takes pride in her ability to listen to their concerns and guide them through the process of recovery.
Kathleen is experienced in the courtroom, having represented hundreds of criminal defendants in her former position as a criminal defense attorney for Virginia’s Indigent Defense Commission, an organization that provides lawyers for criminal defendants who cannot afford legal representation. Kathleen also serves as an adjunct professor at Strayer University where she is designing a curriculum for a degree in Criminal Justice.
Immediately after law school, Kathleen worked for the Los Angeles Justice Center. She focused on providing affordable legal services to the local community in the areas of personal injury law, family law, and contracts. More recently she has worked as an attorney for AHC, where she handled both the negotiation of hospital liens with patients and the appeals process for hospitals looking to ensure that health care plans and insurance companies pay hospital bills they owe on behalf of patients.
Kathleen, who lives with her husband Dennis in Fredericksburg, Virginia, is an avid animal rights advocate and spends time doing community service, gardening, and playing tennis.
- Trial Attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (2007 – present)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Strayer University (2003 – present)
- Assistant Public Defender, Fredericksburg, VA (2005 – 2007)
- Senior Attorney, AHC Manassas, VA (2004 – 2005)
- Attorney, Los Angeles Justice Center (2002 – 2004)
- Licensed to practice law in Commonwealth of Virginia, California
- AAJ’s Ultimate Trial Advocacy, Harvard Law School (2014)
- National Trial Advocacy College, University of Virginia School of Law (2007)
- J.D., Southwestern University School of Law (2002)
- M.A., Liberal Arts, University of Mary Washington (1993)
- B.S., English Education, University of Virginia (1988)
- American Association for Justice/National College of Advocacy – “Advocate” (2017)
- Virginia State Bar
- California State Bar
- Fredericksburg Area Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- 15th Judicial Circuit Bar Association
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association – President, Fredericksburg Chapter
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Friend of the Board – Rappahannock Big Brothers/Big Sisters (2011 – Present)
- Board of Directors – Rappahannock Big Brothers/Big Sisters (2008 – 2011)
- Pet Orphans Fund (2002 – 2003)
- Established Recycling Program to Benefit Habitat For Humanity
Personal Injury Resources
What You Should Know About Pedestrian Traffic Laws in Virginia
Did you know Virginia State Law requires you to follow rules each time you go for a walk? Certain laws (for instance, not stepping into the middle of a highway)...
Parking Lots are Dangerous: Tips for Navigating Parking Lot Collisions
Parking lots are dangerous places for both pedestrians and motorists. Cars are pulling into and out of parking spots, drivers’ attention is diverted, customers are walking to and from their...
Premises Liability Claims in Virginia
I’ve Fallen and I Can’t Get Up! As a personal injury attorney, I speak with injured people nearly every day. Although injuries from motor vehicle accidents are the most common...
Jennifer from Locust Grove, VA
I knew about Allen & Allen because of their commercials. My friends also told me how good they were. When I called Allen & Allen, Kathleen Smith agreed to handle...
Cases Against the Commonwealth: Examining the Doctrine of Sovereign Immunity
Motor vehicle collisions occur on Virginia’s roads and highways on a daily basis. When people are injured through no fault of their own, Virginia’s law affords them the right to...
Alexandra from Fredericksburg, VA
Working with Kathleen Smith was more than a pleasant experience. She took her time explaining the process in great detail. She was attentive to all my concerns and made sure...