Meet Malcolm 'Mic' McConnell
Mic McConnell is the lead medical malpractice attorney at Allen & Allen. He has settled or tried cases in nearly every medical specialty since he began practicing law in 1987. He works to give clients a voice in situations where they may feel most vulnerable, and he strives to provide them comforting guidance throughout the legal process.
He has been listed in Virginia’s Super Lawyers since 2006, and in Best Lawyers in America since 2007. Best Lawyers in America named him ‘Richmond’s Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year’ in 2013 and 2016.
Mic is one of the few attorneys in America who is Board Certified in Medical Malpractice Law by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys. He is an active member of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, is Chair of the Medical Malpractice Legislative Subcommittee, and serves on VTLA’s Board of Governors.
Mic frequently lectures to medical professionals and lawyers on issues regarding medical malpractice law and trial advocacy, and he serves on the faculty of the Virginia College of Trial Advocacy. Mic also helped to write and lobby on behalf of a new law to extend time limits for cancer victims to file medical malpractice suits to ensure that their rights do not expire before they are aware of their illness.
Mic enjoys political and social history, science fiction, philosophy, and athletics. Formerly certified in personal training, he has competed in swimming, triathlon, and bodybuilding events. In 1992, Mic received a Guinness Book world record for swimming in the longest continuous relay swim—300 consecutive hours. He is a long distance, open water swimmer, having swum across the Chesapeake Bay (4.4 miles) five times and across the mouth of the Potomac River (7.5 miles) twice.
Mic and his wife, Virginia, have two grown children and reside in Richmond, Virginia.
- Partner and Attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (2001-Present)
- Attorney, Shewmake, Baronian & McConnell (1996-2001)
- In-House Counsel, St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company (1993-1996)
- In-House Counsel, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company (1992-1993)
- Attorney, Coates & Davenport, Richmond, Virginia (1987-1992)
- Instructor, Virginia Civil Procedure, University of Richmond School of Law
- Licensed to practice law in Commonwealth of Virginia, District of Columbia
- J.D., T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond (1987)
- B.A., History and Philosophy, University of Richmond (1984)
- “Lawyer of the Year” Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs in Richmond, VA by Best Lawyers in America(2019)
- “Lawyer of the Year” Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs in Richmond, VA by Best Lawyers in America(2016)
- Williamsburg Society Member – Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (2015)
- “Lawyer of the Year” Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs in Richmond, VA by Best Lawyers in America(2013)
- Best Lawyers in America (2007 – Present)
- Virginia Super Lawyers (Top 5% of Virginia Attorneys) (2006 – Present)
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- “Top Medical Malpractice Lawyer,” Richmond Magazine (1999)
- Editor and Co-Author, Medical Malpractice Law in Virginia, Virginia Continuing Legal Education Foundation, Editions I-IV.
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Virginia Equality Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Henrico County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys
- Boyd-Graves Conference
- Volunteer, Greater Richmond YMCA (Christmas Outreach, Back to School and Planting Seeds of Hope)
- Member, Aquatics Committee, Tuckahoe YMCA
- Founder and Coach, YMCA Tribe Program
- Former Den Leader, Cub Scouts
- Judge, James River Aquatics Association – strokes and turns
- “Medical Malpractice Law—What You Need to Know,” Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists Winter Meeting, Richmond, Virginia, February 2018.
- “Sequential Art, Superheroes, and Trial Advocacy,” American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, May 2016.
- “Bookends for Rules of the Road,” American Association of Justice, Chicago, Illinois, October 2015.
- “Trial from Start to Finish,” Guest Lecturer on Closing Argument, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Richmond, Virginia, September 2014.
- “Blame the Patient – The Favored Defense,” American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys Annual Meeting, Miami, Florida, May 2014.
- “Medical Malpractice: “There But for the Grace of God…”,” presented to the Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists, Annual Winter Meeting, February 2014.
- “The Perils of Social Networking,” presented to Division of Child Support Enforcement, Richmond, Virginia, October 2013.
- “Medical Malpractice Law: What You Need to Know,” Virginia Commonwealth University Annual Pain Management and Spine Symposium, Richmond, Virginia, October 2013.
- “Best Trial Practices,” Richmond Bar Association, April 2012.
- “The Perils of Social Networking,” Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, March 2012
- “Medical Malpractice Law: What you Need to Know,” presented to the Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists, Annual Winter Meeting, February, 2012.
- “The Rise of Corporate Medicine and its Impact on Liability Reform,” American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys, San Diego, California, 2011.
Personal Injury Resources
We hope this message finds you well and your family and friends healthy. We are all adjusting to a new normal in these unprecedented times, and we continue to be...
Staying safe at home: Telemedicine
Under the current impacts of COVID-19, patients are increasingly seeking medical help from a distance. Telemedicine visits rose 50 percent in March alone, and are on track to hit 1...
Rebecca from Richmond
“Going through this process with Mic McConnell made me feel comfortable so that I didn’t have to get bogged down with the little details behind the scenes. My focus was...
Six Allen & Allen Attorneys Make Best Lawyers List in 2020
The Allen Law Firm is pleased to announce that six lawyers have been included in the 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America, universally regarded as the definitive guide...
New Laws Affecting Virginia Drivers Have Come Into Effect
As personal injury attorneys with more than 600 years of combined experience, we know how important it is to be aware of the laws affecting you each and every day....
Seven Allen & Allen Attorneys Named in 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
Best Lawyers in America, the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession, announced today that seven attorneys at the law firm of Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen...
Best Lawyers Names Attorney Malcolm McConnell ‘Lawyer of the Year’ For Medical Malpractice in 2019 Edition
The personal injury law firm of Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen is proud to announce that attorney Malcolm P. “Mic” McConnell has been named the 2019 “Lawyer of the Year”...