Mic McConnell is the lead medical malpractice attorney at Allen & Allen. He has settled or tried cases in nearly every medical specialty since he began practicing law in 1987. He works to give clients a voice in situations where they may feel most vulnerable, and he strives to provide them comforting guidance throughout the legal process.
He has been listed in Virginia’s Super Lawyers since 2006, and in Best Lawyers in America since 2007. Best Lawyers in America named him ‘Richmond’s Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year’ in 2013 and 2016.
Mic is one of the few attorneys in America who is Board Certified in Medical Malpractice Law by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys. He is an active member of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, is Chair of the Medical Malpractice Legislative Subcommittee, and serves on VTLA’s Board of Governors.
Mic frequently lectures to medical professionals and lawyers on issues regarding medical malpractice law and trial advocacy, and he serves on the faculty of the Virginia College of Trial Advocacy. Mic also helped to write and lobby on behalf of a new law to extend time limits for cancer victims to file medical malpractice suits to ensure that their rights do not expire before they are aware of their illness.
Mic enjoys political and social history, science fiction, philosophy, and athletics. Formerly certified in personal training, he has competed in swimming, triathlon, and bodybuilding events. In 1992, Mic received a Guinness Book world record for swimming in the longest continuous relay swim—300 consecutive hours. He is a long distance, open water swimmer, having swum across the Chesapeake Bay (4.4 miles) five times and across the mouth of the Potomac River (7.5 miles) twice.
Mic and his wife, Virginia, have two grown children and reside in Richmond, Virginia.
- Partner and Attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (2001-Present)
- Attorney, Shewmake, Baronian & McConnell (1996-2001)
- In-House Counsel, St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company (1993-1996)
- In-House Counsel, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company (1992-1993)
- Attorney, Coates & Davenport, Richmond, Virginia (1987-1992)
- Instructor, Virginia Civil Procedure, University of Richmond School of Law
- Licensed to practice law in Commonwealth of Virginia, District of Columbia
- J.D., T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond (1987)
- B.A., History and Philosophy, University of Richmond (1984)
- “Lawyer of the Year” Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs in Richmond, VA by Best Lawyers in America(2016)
- Williamsburg Society Member – Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (2015)
- “Lawyer of the Year” Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs in Richmond, VA by Best Lawyers in America(2013)
- Best Lawyers in America (2007 – Present)
- Virginia Super Lawyers (Top 5% of Virginia Attorneys) (2006 – Present)
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- “Top Medical Malpractice Lawyer,” Richmond Magazine (1999)
- Editor and Co-Author, Medical Malpractice Law in Virginia, Virginia Continuing Legal Education Foundation, Editions I-IV.
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Virginia Equality Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Henrico County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys
- Volunteer, Greater Richmond YMCA (Christmas Outreach, Back to School and Planting Seeds of Hope)
- Member, Aquatics Committee, Tuckahoe YMCA
- Founder and Coach, YMCA Tribe Program
- Former Den Leader, Cub Scouts
- Judge, James River Aquatics Association – strokes and turns
- “Medical Malpractice Law—What You Need to Know,” Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists Winter Meeting, Richmond, Virginia, February 2018.
- “Sequential Art, Superheroes, and Trial Advocacy,” American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, May 2016.
- “Bookends for Rules of the Road,” American Association of Justice, Chicago, Illinois, October 2015.
- “Trial from Start to Finish,” Guest Lecturer on Closing Argument, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Richmond, Virginia, September 2014.
- “Blame the Patient – The Favored Defense,” American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys Annual Meeting, Miami, Florida, May 2014.
- “Medical Malpractice: “There But for the Grace of God…”,” presented to the Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists, Annual Winter Meeting, February 2014.
- “The Perils of Social Networking,” presented to Division of Child Support Enforcement, Richmond, Virginia, October 2013.
- “Medical Malpractice Law: What You Need to Know,” Virginia Commonwealth University Annual Pain Management and Spine Symposium, Richmond, Virginia, October 2013.
- “Best Trial Practices,” Richmond Bar Association, April 2012.
- “The Perils of Social Networking,” Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, March 2012
- “Medical Malpractice Law: What you Need to Know,” presented to the Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists, Annual Winter Meeting, February, 2012.
- “The Rise of Corporate Medicine and its Impact on Liability Reform,” American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys, San Diego, California, 2011.
Personal Injury Resources
Best Lawyers Names Attorney Malcolm McConnell ‘Lawyer of the Year’ For Medical Malpractice in 2019 Edition
The personal injury law firm of Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen is proud to announce that attorney Malcolm P. “Mic” McConnell has been named the 2019 “Lawyer of the Year”...
Joanne from Richmond Area
My husband met Mic McConnell before my accident when he participated on a jury panel. Months after my injury, my husband finally convinced me to give Mic and Allen &...
Attorneys Mic McConnell and Derrick Walker Deliver Justice for Medical Malpractice Client
In February, 2015, Mic McConnell’s client underwent what was expected to be a routine laparoscopic abdominal surgery. The negligence of the surgeon that day has led to years of agony...
Are Electric Cars Safer in Collisions?
Technological improvements and the dropping prices of electric vehicles have helped to usher hundreds of thousands of new models into the hands of consumers over the past two years. All-electric...
Should Surgeons Be Banned From Performing “Simultaneous Surgeries”?
Surgical procedures require coordinating the schedules of patients, surgeons, nursing and support staff, as well as the availability of the hospital operating room where the surgery will take place. The...
Medical Malpractice: Surgery and Hospital Stays
When a doctor or healthcare provider is negligent, and a patient is harmed by that negligence, that patient may have a medical malpractice claim. These claims can arise in countless...