Jamie Kessel has dedicated his career to fighting for the rights of clients who have been seriously injured or killed due to the negligence of others. His goal is to protect vulnerable people from unfair treatment throughout the legal process.
Jamie enjoys being in court and believes each and every case should be handled from the beginning as if it were going to be tried before a jury. He is an experienced trial attorney and has handled cases in State and Federal Courts throughout Virginia and West Virginia. His practice focuses on representing accident victims and their families in cases involving: car wrecks, tractor trailer accidents, wrongful deaths, distracted driving, dog bites, and dangerous premises.
Jamie graduated cum laude from West Virginia University and received his law degree from the University of Richmond. Early in his career he worked in defense litigation, giving him insight into how defense lawyers think and how to protect his clients’ best interests. Before joining the Allen Law Firm, he spent eight years practicing as a personal injury attorney in Richmond, Virginia and West Virginia.
Jamie is dedicated to serving the legal community and is active in the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association for Justice, where he served on the New Lawyers Division (NLD) Board of Governors for seven years. He also believes in the importance of helping law students understand the significance of the jury system and frequently volunteers to judge local and national moot court competitions.
As an advocate for driver safety, Jamie works to reduce and prevent distracted driving by educating high school students and community groups using scientifically guided evidence-based End DD (End Distracted Driving) presentations.
Jamie and his wife, Erin, live in Richmond with their two young sons. He is a lover of the outdoors and is often found kayaking, skiing, fishing, or playing racket sports and soccer.
- Trial Attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (2012 – Present)
- Trial Attorney, Marks & Harrison (2005 – 2012)
- Trial Attorney, James Mick Kessel, Attorney and Counselor at Law (2005)
- Law Clerk & Associate Attorney, Stout, Howard, Billy & Seli (2002 – 2005)
- Intern, Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney, Richmond, VA (2001)
- Intern, Office of Chief Counsel, Internal Revenue Service (2000)
- Intern, Kanawha County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, Charleston, WV (1999)
- Licensed to practice law in Commonwealth of Virginia, West Virginia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Supreme Court of Appeals West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- J.D., University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law (2002)
- B.A., Political Science, West Virginia University, Cum Laude (1999)
- Virginia Super Lawyers – Personal Injury Plaintiff (2013 – Present)
- Virginia Super Lawyers – Top 50: Richmond (2015 – Present)
- Virginia Super Lawyers – Top 100: Virginia (2015 – Present)
- Virginia Super Lawyers – Rising Star (2010 – 2012)
- Virginia Business Magazine – Legal Elite – Litigation (2010 – 2016, 2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell – AV Preeminent – Peer Review Rating
- American Association for Justice – NLD Award for Excellence 2013
- American Association for Justice
- Executive Committee Parliamentarian, Motor Vehicle, Highway, and Premises Liability Section (2019 – Present)
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar
- Henrico County Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Public Justice Foundation
- West Virginia Association for Justice (former member)
- Kanawha County Bar Association (former member)
Professional and Community Service
- Virginia State Bar – Member
- Henrico County Bar – Member; former Judicial Selection Committee
- American Association for Justice – Member; Motor Vehicle Committee; former New Lawyers Division (NLD) Board of Governors
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association – Member; Continuing Legal Education Committee; former YLD Leadership Division
- NLD Party – Sponsor; American Association for Justice Annual & Winter Conventions (2010 – Present)
- Virginia Bar Association – Presenter; Virginia Bar Association’s First Day in Practice Seminar
- Southern Trial Lawyers – Speaker; Southern Trial Lawyers Annual Convention CLE (2012)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers – Organizer; Virginia Trial Lawyers Annual Paralegal Seminar
- Presenter – End DD (End Distracted Driving) Education Programs
- Junior Board Member for the Faison School for Autism
- Board of Young Professionals, Stop Child Abuse Now (“SCAN”)
- Past Member, Richmond SPCA’s Associate Board
- Volunteer, Special Olympics
- Volunteer, Richmond Hospitality House
- Volunteer, Families Are Magic “FAM”
- Volunteer, Richmond Animal League
- Volunteer, Muscular Dystrophy Association
Personal Injury Resources
Patrice from Richmond
From the moment I met Jamie Kessel, I was put at ease and completely confident in him and the staff at Allen & Allen. I knew they would work hard...
Hundreds of Military Veterans Sue Over Defective Earplugs
In the military, proper hearing protection is an absolute necessity. The National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) estimates that regular exposure to any sound over 85 decibels...
Richmond Times-Dispatch Article Reports on Allen & Allen Sexual Assault Lawsuit Against Massage Envy
The Richmond Times-Dispatch recently reported that the law firm of Allen & Allen has filed a $1.1 million lawsuit against Massage Envy Franchising, LLC, ME Short Pump, Inc., and Albert L....
Sexual Assault Claims Continue to be Filed Against Richmond Area Massage Envy Locations
The law firm of Allen & Allen recently filed a $1.1 million lawsuit against Massage Envy Franchising, LLC, ME Short Pump, Inc. and Albert L. Safewright, Jr. on behalf of...
James “Jamie” Kessel Honored For Seventh Year as Legal Elite
The law firm of Allen & Allen is pleased to announce that James “Jamie” Kessel has been recognized for the seventh year by Virginia Business Magazine as one of the...
Bill from Richmond, VA
“…I knew I was in good hands with them.” This is Bill’s story: