Richard is an experienced and skilled attorney working in the Charlottesville, Virginia office of Allen & Allen. He has dedicated his career to fighting for justice for his clients, guided by a singular philosophy: the case belongs to the client. Richard focuses on a variety of personal injury matters, including wrongful death, automobile and tractor trailer accidents, and accidents involving drunk drivers.
After receiving his law degree from the University of Virginia, Richard worked as a public defender in New York City for 13 years. He returned to Virginia in 2000 and continues to litigate cases in the Commonwealth.
Richard is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell, the highest rating available. He is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, an honor reserved for attorneys who have achieved trial verdicts of $1 million or more. He has been honored by the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association for work on friend of the court briefs to the Supreme Court of Virginia. He has presented at various seminars and has published several articles in the Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association.
Richard is very involved in the Charlottesville community. He serves on the board of the Albemarle County Service Authority. Richard is also an acting board member for the Jefferson Swim League and Madison House and has served as President for both organizations.
Richard is married and has two children. His wife, Andrea, is also an attorney and works for UVA as the Director of Virginia Status. Richard has traveled extensively and has visited several countries including Vietnam, Bali, Turkey, Nicaragua, and Cuba. In his spare time, he can be found swimming, biking, traveling, and dining out with his wife.
- Trial Attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (2017-Present )
- Attorney, Lenhart Pettit (2008-2017)
- Attorney, Richmond and Fishburne (2004-2008)
- Attorney, Wyatt & Armstrong (2001-2004)
- Supervising Attorney, Criminal Defense Division, New York (1994-2000)
- Staff Attorney, Legal Aid Society Criminal Defense Division, New York (1987-1994)
- Licensed to practice law in Commonwealth of Virginia, New York
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law (1987)
- B.A., Political and Social Thought, University of Virginia, with distinction (1984)
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association amicus curiae honor roll (2006, 2017)
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly, Largest Verdicts of 2006, $4.5 million
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly, Million Dollar Settlements of 2015
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Member and Past Co-chair of Amicus Curiae Committee
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, Past President
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Virginia CLE Seminar: “Tort-Related Damages” (2012)
- Virginia CLE Seminar: “Evaluating and Settling Personal Injury Claims” (2010)
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court: The 5th Amendment in Civil Litigation (2011)
- VTLA Journal: “A Primer on the Fifth Amendment in Civil Litigation” (2010)
- VTLA Journal: “How to Recover When the Treating Physician Won’t Get on the Bus” (2009)
- VTLA Journal: “HIPAA Regulations and Client Privacy” (2007)
- VTLA Journal: “The Myth of the Charitable Physician” (2006)
- Gray v. Rhoads, 268 Va. 81 (2004)
- Brake v. Payne, 268 Va. 92 (2004)
- Sanchez v. Medicorp Health Sys., 270 Va. 299 (2005)
- UVA Health Serv. Foundation v. Morris, 275 Va. 319 (2008)
- Hollingsworth v. Norfolk S. Ry., 279 Va. 360 (2010)
- Volpe v. City of Lexington, 281 Va. 630 (2011)
- Albemarle County Service Authority Board member (2016-present)
- Jefferson Swim League, Board Member and Past President
- Madison House, Board Member and Past President
Personal Injury Resources
Study Finds It’s More Dangerous to Drive During the Holidays
Anyone driving in Virginia recently knows very well that winter weather can create dangers on the road around the holidays. But do the holidays also increase the potential for distracted...
How Gender and Weight Affect Car Crash Injuries
Intriguing studies from the University of Virginia point to an often-ignored demographic difference in the injuries suffered in car crashes. Studies from UVA’s Center for Applied Biomechanics show that women...
7 Tips for Sharing the Road with Trucks
Truckers perform an essential function in our economy, accounting for more than 68% of the freight tonnage in the U.S. Almost every business in the U.S. relies in some way...
Ernest from Charlottesville, VA
A friend of mine was a client of Allen & Allen and told me good things. When I first walked in the door at their office, I was greeted with...
Stacy from Charlottesville, VA
My friend’s mother was a past client and she referred me to Allen and Allen. She told me that Allen and Allen was better than the other lawyers in town....
The Hazard of Black Ice and How it Might Impact Your Personal Injury Case
Winter weather poses many challenges for drivers, and perhaps the most dangerous of them all is black ice. What is black ice and how is it formed? Black ice is...