Richard is an experienced and skilled attorney working in the Charlottesville, Virginia office of Allen & Allen. He has dedicated his career to fighting for justice for his clients, guided by a singular philosophy: the case belongs to the client. Richard focuses on a variety of personal injury matters, including wrongful death, automobile and tractor trailer accidents, and accidents involving drunk drivers.
After receiving his law degree from the University of Virginia, Richard worked as a public defender in New York City for 13 years. He returned to Virginia in 2000 and continues to litigate cases in the Commonwealth.
Richard is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell, the highest rating available. He is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, an honor reserved for attorneys who have achieved trial verdicts of $1 million or more. He has been honored by the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association for work on friend of the court briefs to the Supreme Court of Virginia. He has presented at various seminars and has published several articles in the Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association.
Richard is very involved in the Charlottesville community. He serves on the board of the Albemarle County Service Authority. Richard is also an acting board member for the Jefferson Swim League and Madison House and has served as President for both organizations.
Richard is married and has two children. His wife, Andrea, is also an attorney and works for UVA as the Director of Virginia Status. Richard has traveled extensively and has visited several countries including Vietnam, Bali, Turkey, Nicaragua, and Cuba. In his spare time, he can be found swimming, biking, traveling, and dining out with his wife.
- Trial Attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (2017-Present )
- Attorney, Lenhart Pettit (2008-2017)
- Attorney, Richmond and Fishburne (2004-2008)
- Attorney, Wyatt & Armstrong (2001-2004)
- Supervising Attorney, Criminal Defense Division, New York (1994-2000)
- Staff Attorney, Legal Aid Society Criminal Defense Division, New York (1987-1994)
- Licensed to practice law in Commonwealth of Virginia, New York
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law (1987)
- B.A., Political and Social Thought, University of Virginia, with distinction (1984)
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association amicus curiae honor roll (2006, 2017)
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly, Largest Verdicts of 2006, $4.5 million
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly, Million Dollar Settlements of 2015
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Member and Past Co-chair of Amicus Curiae Committee
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, Past President
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Virginia CLE Seminar: “Tort-Related Damages” (2012)
- Virginia CLE Seminar: “Evaluating and Settling Personal Injury Claims” (2010)
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court: The 5th Amendment in Civil Litigation (2011)
- VTLA Journal: “Duties of a Landlord post-Isbell” (2019)
- VTLA Journal: “A Primer on the Fifth Amendment in Civil Litigation” (2010)
- VTLA Journal: “How to Recover When the Treating Physician Won’t Get on the Bus” (2009)
- VTLA Journal: “HIPAA Regulations and Client Privacy” (2007)
- VTLA Journal: “The Myth of the Charitable Physician” (2006)
- Gray v. Rhoads, 268 Va. 81 (2004)
- Brake v. Payne, 268 Va. 92 (2004)
- Sanchez v. Medicorp Health Sys., 270 Va. 299 (2005)
- UVA Health Serv. Foundation v. Morris, 275 Va. 319 (2008)
- Hollingsworth v. Norfolk S. Ry., 279 Va. 360 (2010)
- Volpe v. City of Lexington, 281 Va. 630 (2011)
- Albemarle County Service Authority Board member (2016-present)
- Jefferson Swim League, Board Member and Past President
- Madison House, Board Member and Past President
Personal Injury Resources
We hope this message finds you well and your family and friends healthy. We are all adjusting to a new normal in these unprecedented times, and we continue to be...
Underwater Hazards: Hidden Dangers in Rivers, Ponds and Lakes
As summer approaches, people are getting excited to fish, swim, and boat on Virginia’s waterways. What people don’t always consider is what happens if someone gets hurt or drowns in...
Ryan from North Carolina
I can’t speak highly enough of the excellent representation that I received from Richard Armstrong and his team over at Allen & Allen. I was involved in an incident over...
Isela from Charlottesville
When I was hit by an SUV while walking in the crosswalk, I had a very difficult time with my recovery. I suffered from headaches, memory loss, vision problems and...
Motorcycle Crash – $450,000
On July 27, 2015, the plaintiff was riding his Suzuki sport motorcycle on Fort Avenue in Lynchburg, when he was struck by the defendant, who was also riding a sport...
Legal Liability for Other Children at a Sleepover
Every parent dreads that call in the middle of the night when your children are out. Are the kids safe? Are they in trouble? Are they being well taken care...
Pedestrian Safety and Personal Injury
The number of pedestrians killed on U.S. roads last year was the highest in 28 years. The numbers for 2018 represent a 4 percent hike from 2017 and a 35...