Catastrophic Injury Law Firm
Catastrophic Injury Attorneys in Central Virginia
A catastrophic injury is defined by the American Medical Association (AMA) as a severe injury to the spine, spinal cord, or brain, including skull or spinal fractures. Such injuries are devastating and life-altering, often requiring perpetual medical care and sometimes ultimately resulting in death.
Catastrophic injuries are most commonly the result of car collisions, tractor trailer or bus accidents, industrial accidents, sports accidents, medical malpractice, or falls, but they can occur under a variety of other circumstances. The frightening range of possible injuries that qualify as catastrophic includes concussions, paraplegia, and quadriplegia.
The complications of catastrophic injuries can leave the injured and their loved ones fearful of the future. Who will pay the mounting medical bills? What type of care will the injured person require? How will you afford future medical care? What about the contributions your loved one made to the home and family?
The attorneys at Allen & Allen have helped many families successfully navigate through the difficult times that result from severe injuries like these. We’ve made it our mission to help protect our clients so they can focus on rebuilding their shattered lives.
What Should I Do in the Event of a Catastrophic Injury?
Under Virginia law, you may have the right to recover monetary damages if you have been injured due to the negligence or recklessness of another person. In addition, the Virginia Wrongful Death Act allows the deceased’s personal representative to pursue a wrongful death claim on behalf of the decedent’s family members. Damages may include reimbursement or compensation for:
- Expected loss of future income.
- Loss of services, protection, care, and assistance provided by the injured.
- Medical expenses incurred as a result of the negligence.
- Future medical expenses.
- Funeral and burial expenses if the injury results in wrongful death.
- Grief, sorrow, mental anguish, and solace.
- Punitive damages in the event of willful or wanton conduct.
Although damages in a catastrophic injury or wrongful death case cannot heal or bring your loved one back, a successful claim can provide your family with some security as you face an uncertain future. The attorneys at Allen & Allen are committed to providing compassionate service, exactly the kind of service needed to achieve that security and stability in the wake of a catastrophic injury.
An experienced attorney on your side can help to ensure that the value of your claim is accurately estimated and that full compensation is negotiated from the insurance company. An attorney with the skills and resources to best support your case will use carefully prepared evidence to counter any excuse the insurance company may try to use to deny your claim. In the event your claim goes to trial, an attorney is essential for the careful collection and preparation of documents and other material to support the successful outcome of your case.
Why Choose Allen & Allen?
While the circumstances behind every catastrophic injury are different, one fact holds true for all—the right attorney is necessary to ensure you receive the support you need.
Allen & Allen is a family firm built on compassionate service and aggressive advocacy. We are committed to protecting our clients throughout their recovery and will fight for your fair treatment and compensation.
- Case result: Attorney Christopher J. Toepp secured $1.56 million on behalf of a pregnant plaintiff who was shot thrice by her ex-husband: the first in the left arm, the second in the stomach, and the third, paralyzing her.
- Attorneys Jason Konvicka, Paul Hux, and P. Christopher Guedri secured $22 million on behalf of a young boy whose vehicle was struck by a dump truck. As a result, the boy suffered spinal cord and abdominal injury, severe traumatic brain injury, and more.
Office Locations for Catastrophic Injury Cases
Catastrophic Injury Resources
- Brain Injury Association of Virginia: What They Do For Our Community – Details the mission and accomplishments of BIAV
- Five Myths about “Slip and Fall” Injury Cases – Details the criteria for valid slip and fall cases
- The Personal Injury Recipe: Liability (Part 1 of 3) – Defines what attorneys mean by liability and how that may be relevant to your case