Taking the time to explain a client’s case and keeping her clients informed throughout the legal process are characteristics that make Courtney a trusted adviser. For almost 30 years, she has been protecting and fighting for her injured clients and their families. Clients describe Courtney as passionate, knowledgeable, committed, highly skilled, and genuinely kind. She effectively navigates the complex side of personal injury litigation while never forgetting to care for the emotional side of her clients’ needs.
Currently a partner with the firm, Courtney regularly handles cases in the areas of auto and truck accidents, brain injury, and wrongful death. Based in the firm’s Richmond office, she serves clients throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia and nationwide.
As part of the third generation of Allen litigators, Courtney grew up understanding that all people need experienced representation to protect them and to level the playing field when facing a large corporation. Believing that injured parties deserve justice, she aggressively takes on insurance companies to preserve the rights of her clients.
Courtney, a mother of four, works tirelessly for families and has a heart for helping children. She once fought a case all the way to the Virginia Supreme Court to obtain justice for a 12-year old client whose insurance company wrongfully denied payments for his medical bills. Her passion for helping children extends beyond the courtroom. She has lectured on the topic of “Children as Witnesses” and participated in the production of a video that has been used to train lawyers and judges on the special circumstances involved when children are in the courtroom.
Courtney’s compassion is evident in her client relationships. A determined advocate for injured people, she is dedicated to carrying on the legacy that her grandfather began over a hundred years ago. She believes being part of her family’s firm is not a job, but a lifelong commitment to helping people.
Courtney and her husband, Peter, have four children. Courtney enjoys spending time with her children and participating in their varied interests. A perfect day off for Courtney is spent playing with her family and friends in the surf in Virginia Beach.
- Partner and Trial Attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen, & Allen (1990 – Present)
- Intern, Office of the Attorney General, Commonwealth of Virginia (1989)
- Licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- U.S. District Court – Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- J.D., T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond (1990)
- B.A., Psychology and Political Science, Vanderbilt University (1986)
- Named to the Virginia Lawyers Weekly 2019 class of “Influential Women of Law” (2019)
- Best Lawyers in America (2019)
- Listed in Virginia Super Lawyers (Top 5% of Virginia Attorneys) (2015 – present)
- Virginia State Bar
- National Advisory Board, The Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (APITLAmerica)
- Richmond Chapter President, Virginia Women Attorneys Association (2007 – 2010)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- “Social Networking – are you in or out to lunch?”, VTLA Annual Conference
- “Social Networking – Helping or Hurting YOUR Case?”, VTLA Annual Conference
- “Evidence Update: Statutes and Case Law, Evidence for the Trial Lawyer,” VTLA Annual Advocacy Seminar
- Moderator, “The Trial Lawyer’s Playbook,” VTLA Annual Tort Law Seminar
- “Children as Witnesses,” Judicial Conference for District Court Judges, Charlottesville, VA
Personal Injury Resources
5 Ways to Save Energy (and Money) in the Warmer Months
Each year, Earth Day is celebrated worldwide on April 22 in more than 193 countries to support and raise awareness about environmental protection. Beginning in 1970, and recognized by more...
Courtney Van Winkle Named to ‘Influential Women of Law’
Courtney Allen Van Winkle, a partner and attorney at Allen & Allen, has been named to the 2019 inaugural class of “Influential Women of Law” by Virginia Lawyers Weekly. The...
Seven Allen & Allen Attorneys Named in 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
Best Lawyers in America, the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession, announced today that seven attorneys at the law firm of Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen...
Car Crash – $125,000
The plaintiff, a 56-year-old man from Fluvanna County who works as a propane delivery driver for Tiger Fuel Company, was driving home from work on August 19, 2014, traveling southbound...
Crystal from Richmond, VA
Courtney Van Winkle did everything she could to make me comfortable. She didn’t talk down to me but explained everything in a comforting way. She was also great about meeting...
The Risks of Teenage Driving
As parents we all know the joy and pride of watching our children grow older and more independent. But some milestones, like taking to the road as a driver, also...