Edward is an accomplished litigator and talented personal injury attorney who has tried and won cases in both state and federal courts. He wants clients to be treated fairly in the legal system, so he strives to serve as a compassionate advocate on their behalf. Edward currently serves as the President of the Allen Law Firm.
Edward helped spearhead the firm’s expansion to Northern Virginia, and is currently the managing partner of the Richmond office. He joined Allen & Allen in 1987 after graduating from Washington and Lee University School of Law. He is proud to be one of the firm’s eight attorneys to be named to Best Lawyers in America – a publication considered by many to be the preeminent guide to legal excellence in the United States.
With a strong background in personal injury litigation, Edward handles cases involving car crashes, premises liability, motorcycle accidents, and traumatic brain injury throughout Virginia and the District of Columbia.
Edward is proud to be a member of the Allen Law Firm because of its strong commitment to helping injured people. He is a Past President of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, an organization which promotes the interests of the wrongfully injured.
Edward and his wife Nancy live in Fredericksburg with their son and daughter. He enjoys sailing, boating, and scuba diving. He is a licensed motorcycle operator.
- President, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (2018 – Present)
- Shareholder, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (1988 – Present)
- Trial Attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (1987 – Present)
Licensed to practice law:
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Claims
- J.D., Washington and Lee University School of Law (1987)
- B.A., Vanderbilt University (1984)
- Lawyer of the Year – Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, Richmond (2022)
- Best Lawyers in America (2010 – Present)
- Best Lawyers in America – Litigation Edition (2020)
- Virginia Super Lawyers (Top 5% of Virginia Attorneys) (2011 – 2023)
- Top 50: Virginia Super Lawyers (2018)
- Past-President, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Board of Governors, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (2000 – Present)
- Member, Nominating Committee, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (2013 – Present)
- Faculty member, Virginia College of Trial Advocacy
- Member, Board of Governors, Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- Virginia State Bar
- American Association for Justice
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Fredericksburg Area Bar Association
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- Public Justice
- 15th Judicial Circuit Bar Association
- Author, “The Changing Law in Medical Payments Coverage in Virginia”
Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (1994)
- Member, Historic Fredericksburg Foundation, Inc.
- Member, Fredericksburg Chamber of Commerce
Personal Injury Resources
Ten attorneys named to Best Lawyers 2024
Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen is proud to announce that eight lawyers have been included in the 2024 edition of Best Lawyers in America, a definitive guide to legal excellence....
Richmond Magazine voters name Allen & Allen Best Law Firm
The votes are in! For the 10th consecutive year, Richmond Magazine readers have voted for Allen & Allen as the Best Law Firm! The firm was thrilled to receive the...
25 attorneys named to 2023 Virginia Super Lawyers
The Allen Law Firm is pleased to announce that 25 attorneys have been named to the 2023 Super Lawyers list. Those attorneys include Edward L. Allen, R. Clayton Allen, Jennifer...
Eight attorneys make Best Lawyers List in 2023
Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen is proud to announce that eight lawyers have been included in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in America, a definitive guide to legal excellence....
James River tragedy linked to low-head dams (“drowning machines”)
On Memorial Day weekend, a group of 12 friends were rafting and paddle boarding down the James River, when tragedy struck. Though the group attempted to exit the river before...
The five most common myths about car insurance in Virginia
While talking to a client today about their auto insurance, I was reminded of several misconceptions and misunderstandings that many people have about motor vehicle insurance. Here are five of...