Wrongful Death Law Firm
Best wrongful death lawyers in Richmond, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, Mechanicsville, and the rest of Virginia
If you’ve been devastated by the death of a family member due to the negligence of another party, you can take legal action with the help of a wrongful death attorney. Your life can be turned upside down in an instant when trying to cope with the grief and sorrow of losing a loved one.
At times, it can feel as though you have more questions than answers. How will I pay my loved one’s medical bills? How will I support my family? How can I afford funeral expenses? What about grief after losing a loved one? Do I need a lawyer to help me?
The wrongful death attorneys at Allen & Allen understand that your life has been shattered and changed forever. We have made it our mission to help you put the pieces of your life back together.
What should I do in the event of the wrongful death of a loved one?
Wrongful death is defined as “the taking of the life of an individual resulting from the willful or negligent act of another person or persons.”
The Virginia Wrongful Death Act allows the deceased’s personal representative to pursue a wrongful death claim on behalf of the decedent’s family members. Damages may include reimbursement or compensation for:
- Expected loss of future income
- Loss of services, protection, care, and assistance provided by the decedent
- Medical expenses incurred as a result of the negligence
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Grief, sorrow, mental anguish, and solace
- Punitive damages in the event of willful or wanton conduct
Although damages in a wrongful death case cannot bring your loved one back, a successful wrongful death lawsuit can provide your family with some security as you face an uncertain future.
Wrongful death claims are often included as a part of a claim for injuries stemming from a car crash, tractor trailer crash, or medical malpractice. An experienced wrongful death attorney can help to ensure that the value of a wrongful death claim is accurately estimated and that full compensation is negotiated from the insurance company.
Under Virginia law, surviving family members have only two years from the date of a loved one’s death to file a wrongful death suit. It can take months to collect the medical records and other evidence necessary to determine if you have a viable case. It can take several more months to get expert analysis and reports to support the cause of death and damages suffered. The earlier you get an attorney involved, the more likely we are to find and preserve evidence and consult with experts so we can maximize recovery for you.
Why choose the wrongful death lawyers at Allen & Allen?
You don’t have to shoulder the financial burden of an injury or the death of a loved one. Let us help you collect the compensation you deserve by holding the person who caused your suffering accountable. At Allen & Allen, our team of experienced wrongful death lawyers and in-house investigators use their skills to collect evidence and build a solid case on your behalf so you can focus on your recovery.
- Wrongful death lawsuit: Attorneys Jason Konvicka and Chris P. Guedri secured $5.475 million on behalf of the family of a man who was eventually killed by a workplace incident that resulted in the amputation of his leg and 14 surgeries before his family withdrew life support.
- Wrongful death lawsuit: Attorney Derrick L. Walker secured $1,150,000 on behalf of the family of a 28-year-old woman with a congenital heart condition. Despite the significantly elevated risks, both her cardiologist and oral surgeon consented to an oral surgery that eventually resulted in her death.
- Wrongful death lawsuit: Attorney Malcolm McConnell secured $1 million on behalf of the husband of a pregnant woman who became ill. After the hospital staff failed to look at her test results, was sent home with a severe bacterial infection. Tragically, she and her unborn baby died.
Wrongful death office locations
- Richmond Wrongful Death Lawyers
- Charlottesville Wrongful Death Lawyers
- Fredericksburg Wrongful Death Lawyers
- Petersburg Wrongful Death Lawyers
- Stafford Wrongful Death Lawyers
- Chesterfield Wrongful Death Lawyers
- Mechanicsville Wrongful Death Lawyers
Wrongful death resources
- Who receives the award in a case for wrongful death? – Details the eligible relatives and what circumstance they’d require for eligibility
- Wrongful death vs. survival claims – Describes the difference between wrongful death and survival claims and what each entails
- Can Creditors Take My Personal Injury or Wrongful Death Award in Virginia? – Answers and explains the titular question