Derrick Walker is an accomplished, skilled and experienced trial attorney in the Richmond, Virginia office of Allen & Allen. He has built an outstanding track record with nearly 20 years in practice in a wide array of personal injury matters, including multi-million dollar awards in cases involving wrongful death, tractor trailer accidents, traumatic brain injury, and medical malpractice. He dedicates his skills and services to helping to provide a level legal playing field for those injured and to protect them throughout the legal process. Derrick is incredibly passionate about representing the injured, and he makes it his mission to tip the scales in favor of his clients when faced with the “David vs. Goliath” struggle between an injured person and an insurance company.
Since 2000, Derrick has been securing favorable outcomes for his clients at the negotiation table and in the courtroom. Highlights of his achievements include a $6.5 million award in a case involving in a tractor trailer collision, a $4.5 million award for a bicyclist struck by a commercial vehicle, and over a dozen 7-figure awards in cases involving medical negligence. Derrick’s analytical approach makes him successful at tackling the complex medical and legal issues that his cases routinely involve.
Derrick has an “AV” rating (the highest available) from the Martindale-Hubbell attorney listing service and was selected as one of Virginia’s Super Lawyers (Top 5% of Virginia Attorneys). Derrick is also among six Allen & Allen attorneys named to Best Lawyers in America, a publication considered by many to be the preeminent guide to legal excellence in the United States.
Derrick is actively involved in the Board of Governors for the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association for Justice. Derrick is a frequent speaker on ethics and trial techniques. He attended the College of William & Mary, graduating with a B.A. in Government and received his J.D. from the T. C. Williams School of Law at the University of Richmond, where he was the recipient of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Student Advocate Award.
Derrick enjoys spending time with his wife, Melody, and their two daughters. In his free time, he enjoys golf, food, wine, and travel.
- Trial Attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen, & Allen (2015 – Present)
- Partner, Breit, Drescher, Imprevento & Walker (2010 – 2014)
- Litigation Associate, Breit, Drescher & Imprevento (2004 – 2010)
- Litigation Associate, Durrette Bradshaw PLC (2000 – 2004)
- Licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- U.S. District Courts – Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court – Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- J.D., T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond (2000)
- B.A., Government, College of William and Mary (1994)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America (2017 – Present)
- Listed in Virginia Super Lawyers (2013 – Present)
- Listed as “Rising Star” in Virginia Super Lawyers (2007 – 2012)
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell (highest possible rating)
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers Student Advocate Award
- Williamsburg Society Member – Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Past Chair – Federal Liaison
- Past Chair – Diversity Committee
- Past Chair – Fundraising Committee
- Past Chair – Membership Committee
- Past Chair – Insurance Legislative Subcommittee
- Past Chair – Annual Convention Planning Committee
- Strategic Planning Committee
- VTLA PAC Trustee
- American Association for Justice
- Chair – Minority Caucus
- Trustee – PAC Board of Trustees
- Board of Governors (2013 – present)
- Virginia Governor to the Board of Governors (2010 – 2012)
- Minority Caucus Delegate to the Board of Governors (2013)
- Member – Election Committee
- Member – Membership Oversight Committee
- Boyd Graves Conference Steering Committee (2008 – present)
- Virginia Model Jury Instruction Committee
- Using Breakeven Analysis to Establish the Financial Bias of an Expert Witness, TheMelvin Belli Society Boston, MA (2017)
- Civility, Courtesy and Professionalism, AAJ Winter Convention, Austin, TX (2017)
- Social Media: Mining for Gold While Avoiding Danger, South Carolina Association for Justice Advanced Trial Lawyer College Auto Torts XXXIX (2016)
- Bread and Butter of Every Legal Practice – Rethinking Your Approach to Discovery and Motions CLE Program: Drafting Persuasive Motions in Limine: AAJ Winter Convention, Palm Springs, CA (2015)
- Sources of Coverage Seminar: The Family Automobile Policy, Roanoke, VA (2014)
- Use of Analogies in Closing Argument, VTLA Masters of Advocacy Seminar, Norfolk, VA (2013)
- Ethical Considerations in Cloud Computing, AAJ Jazz Fest Seminar (New Orleans 2012)
- Ethical Considerations in Cloud Computing, AAJ Winter Convention (Miami February 2012)
- Habit and Character Evidence, VTLA Evidence CLE, Norfolk, VA (2011)
- Ethical Use of Social Networking for Trial Lawyers, AAJ Nursing Home Litigation Section Seminar, Las Vegas, NV (2011)
- Effective Use of Medical Illustrations, VTLA May Tort Seminar, Norfolk, VA (2011)
- Defense Medical Exam Orders, AAJ Jazz Fest Auto Seminar, New Orleans, LA (2011)
- The Real Low Down on High/Lows, Mary Carter Agreements, and Other Skullduggery, VTLA Journal (Presented VTLA Annual Convention)(2009)
- Jury Trials 101 Virginia Poverty Law Center, Annual Statewide Legal Aid Conference, Norfolk, VA (2008)
- Car crash case resulting in two subsequent surgeries. $450,000
- Medial malpractice case involving violations of the standard of care. $1,150,00
- Tractor trailer collision resulting in traumatic brain injury. $6,500,000
- Tractor trailer accident involving pedestrian. $4,500,000
- Medical malpractice case involving general surgeon’s failure to timely operate on a patient with a complete small bowel obstruction resulting in sepsis and death. $1,600,000
- Wrongful death medical malpractice case involving an anesthesiologist’s failure to properly intubate an obstetrical patient during an emergency C-section. $1,350,000
- Medical malpractice case involving radiologist’s failure to diagnose a renal cell carcinoma clearly visible on CT-scan. $1,500,000
- Medical malpractice case involving obstetrician’s failure to manage a shoulder dystocia resulting in a brachial plexus injury. $900,000
- 15-passenger van rollover accident resulting in wrongful death. $900,000
- Medical malpractice case involving failure to diagnose and treat acute coronary syndrome. $800,000
- Medical malpractice case involving emergency room doctor and PA’s failure to diagnose a ruptured popliteal artery aneurysm leading to a below-the-knee amputation. $700,000
- Wrongful death caused by food borne illness. $500,000
- Infant scald injury resulting from faulty water heater repair. $310,000
- Tractor trailer collision resulting in post concussive syndrome. $300,000
- Nursing home negligence case involving a failure to follow patient’s prescribed soft mechanical diet resulting in choking death. $300,000
- Commercial delivery company struck pedestrian with hand cart causing pelvic fractures. $250,000
- Dermatology lab error resulting in erroneous diagnosis of melanoma. $165,000
Personal Injury Resources
Confidential – Car Crash
In May of 2018, Derrick Walker’s client, a fuel tank operator, was en route to a delivery station when his vehicle was struck at a high rate of speed by...
Wrongful Death – Medical Malpractice
This was a wrongful death case arising out of multiple violations of the standard of care. The deceased was a 28-year-old wife and mother of two with a significant congenital...
Tradene from Newport News
After my accident, I pondered what I should do. I remembered seeing my friend on a TV commercial, so after talking it over with my husband we decided to contact...
Seven Allen & Allen Attorneys Named in 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
Best Lawyers in America, the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession, announced today that seven attorneys at the law firm of Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen...
Attorney Derrick L. Walker Participates in AAJ Leadership Academy
Allen & Allen congratulates attorney Derrick L. Walker on his recent completion of the 2018 American Association for Justice’s (AAJ) Leadership Academy. The AAJ is the leading plaintiff’s trial attorney...
Attorney Derrick L. Walker Honored with American Association for Justice’s Minority Caucus Leadership Award
The personal injury law firm of Allen & Allen is proud to announce that Derrick L. Walker has earned the Leadership Award from the Minority Caucus of the American Association...