David M. Irvine
David Irvine is an experienced trial attorney in the Charlottesville, Virginia office of Allen & Allen. Focusing his practice on personal injury and medical malpractice, he has handled cases involving car accidents, catastrophic injuries and wrongful death. David has litigated cases across the Commonwealth on behalf of deserving clients.
David grew up in Buena Vista, Virginia. He received his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Religion from Wake Forest University, graduating summa cum laude. He then went on to earn his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law. David has published on topics related to litigation in wrongful death cases and trial procedure and regularly speaks on litigation topics. David believes in giving back to the legal community and is active in the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, serving as President of the Young Trial Lawyers Section from 2013-2014. David is also focused on his community and serves on the Board of Trustees for the Charlottesville Waldorf School.
- Trial Attorney – Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (2015 – Present)
- Associate Attorney – Tremblay & Smith, PLLC (2009 – 2015)
- Associate Attorney – McKenna, Long & Aldridge, LLP (now known as Dentons US, LLP) (2007 – 2009)
- Judicial Clerk – The Honorable Edward L. Hogshire, 16th Judicial Circuit, Charlottesville, VA (2005)
Licensed to practice law in:
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court - Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. District Court - District of Columbia
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law (2007)
- B.A. in Political Science & Religion, summa cum laude, Wake Forest University (2004)
- Virginia Super Lawyers - "Rising Star" (2014 - Present)
- Significant Service Award, Community Law Week Program Chair – Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference (2014)
- Virginia State Bar, Young Lawyers Conference
- Program Chair, Community Law Week (2014 - 2015)
- Board of Governors (2014 – 2016)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Board of Governors
- Former Past President, Young Trial Lawyers
- Co-Chair, Publications Committee
- Charlottesville Albemarle Bar Association
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court
- Approaching Your First Med-Mal Case, Virginia Bar Association Opening Statement, Vol. 3, No. 1 (Winter 2014-2015).
- Practice Pointer: Know Your Local Rules Governing Motions Practice, The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Vol. 24, No. 2 (2013).
- Exploring the Reach of the Absolute Judicial Privilege in Defamation Cases, The Journal of Civil Litigation, Vol. XXIV, No. 4 (Winter 2012-2013).
- The Lessons of Antisdel, Peyton, and Mullins: Covering Your Bases Before Filing Suit in a Death Case, The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Vol. 23, No. 4 (2012).
- The Law of Cross Examination, The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Vol. 22, No. 4 (2011).
- "RGR v. Settle: Pleading a General Duty Owed to Mankind," Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Annual Convention (2016)
- "Civility in Litigation", Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court (2014)
- “Virginia Supreme Court Rule 3:22A and the Scope of Voir Dire in Civil Cases,” Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court (2013)
- "Discovery 101," First Day in Practice & Beyond Seminar, Virginia State Bar (2013)
- “The Uniform Interstate Deposition and Discovery Act,” Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court (2012)
- Charlottesville Waldorf School, Board of Trustees