Courtney Allen Van Winkle
Courtney, a partner with the firm, concentrates her practice on personal injury, brain injury cases and wrongful death claims. She works in the firm's Richmond office and serves clients in Short Pump, Midlothian, Mechanicsville and across the state of Virginia. She is a tireless, compassionate advocate for her clients. Since joining the firm in 1990, Courtney has obtained numerous victories in the courtroom. Courtney's compassion extends beyond the courtroom as she works closely with her clients to resolve their cases. Although Courtney is proud of her courtroom results, she is most passionate about the people she represents. "I'm a people person," she says, "and I enjoy the individual relationships I develop with my clients." She draws inspiration from the courage of her clients to overcome adversity and to recover from injury that was caused by the fault of another.
Courtney has successfully resolved through trial and settlement many cases involving children. As the mother of four children herself, Courtney is able to draw upon her own experiences to compassionately work with children. Courtney has lectured on the topic of "Children as Witnesses" and has participated in producing a video which has been used to train lawyers and judges on the special circumstances involved when children are in the courtroom.
Courtney aggressively takes on insurance companies to preserve the rights of her clients. She once fought a case all the way to the Virginia Supreme Court to obtain justice for a 12-year-old client whose insurance company wrongfully denied payments for his medical bills.
Courtney is proud to be a trial lawyer and an advocate for injured people. She believes in the civil justice system, individual freedom and the responsibility placed on society and individuals to maintain a system whereby injured parties can seek and receive justice.
- Partner and Trial Attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen and Allen (1990 - Present)
- Intern, Office of the Attorney General, Commonwealth of Virginia (1989)
- Licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- U.S. District Court – Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- J.D., T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond (1990)
- B.A., Vanderbilt University (1986)
- Listed in Virginia Super Lawyers (Top 5% of Virginia Attorneys) (2015 - present)
- "Social Networking - are you in or out to lunch?", VTLA Annual Conference
- "Social Networking - Helping or Hurting YOUR Case?", VTLA Annual Conference
- "Evidence Update: Statutes and Case Law, Evidence for the Trial Lawyer," VTLA Annual Advocacy Seminar
- Moderator, "The Trial Lawyer's Playbook," VTLA Annual Tort Law Seminar
- "Children as Witnesses," Judicial Conference for District Court Judges, Charlottesville, VA
- Virginia State Bar
- National Advisory Board, The Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (APITLAmerica)
- Richmond Chapter President, Virginia Women Attorneys Association (2007 - 2010)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
Courtney and her husband, Peter, have four children, three sons and a daughter. Courtney enjoys spending time with her children and participating in their varied interests. A perfect day off for Courtney is spent playing with her family and friends in the surf in Virginia Beach.