Malcolm P. McConnell, III
Malcolm "Mic" McConnell is the lead medical malpractice lawyer for The Allen Law Firm's Medical Malpractice Team. Mic works out of the firm's Richmond, VA office and handles medical malpractice claims across the state of Virginia. Mic was recently named Best Lawyers' 2013 Richmond Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs "Lawyer of the Year." Over twenty four years of success litigating cases from a wide variety of medical specialties has earned him the highest rating awarded ("AV") by Martindale-Hubbel Lawyer Listing Service. He is included in The Best Lawyers in America and has repeatedly been voted by Virginia lawyers as a being among "Virginia's Super Lawyers." He is the editor and co-author of "Medical Malpractice Law in Virginia," now in its 3rd edition, published by Virginia's Continuing Legal Education Foundation.
He frequently lectures to attorney associations across the United States on effective trial tactics and to physician groups on medical malpractice law. A true believer in the rights of medical malpractice victims, Mic can often be found at the Capitol, speaking to lawmakers about the rights of victims and fighting to keep them from being further victimized by powerful insurance interests. In fact, in 2008, Mic rewrote the law to extend time limits for cancer victims to file medical malpractice suits to ensure that their rights do not expire before they are aware of their illness.
Mic is certified in medical malpractice law by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys and serves on its Board of Governors.Mic is also a leader in the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, serving on its Board of Governors, serving on and chairing important committees and helping teach new lawyers effective and ethical courtroom skills and writing "friend of the court" briefs for cases under consideration by the Supreme Court of Virginia.
- B.A. University of Richmond (1984)
- J.D. T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond (1987)
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- Partner and trial attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (2001-Present)
- Attorney, Shewmake, Baronian & McConnell (1996-2001)
- In-House Counsel, St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company (1993-1996)
- In-House Counsel, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company (1992-1993)
- Attorney, Coates & Davenport, Richmond, Virginia (1987-1992)
- Instructor, Virginia Civil Procedure, University of Richmond School of Law
- Named Best Lawyers 2013 Richmond Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs "Lawyer of the Year"
- Best Lawyers in America (2007-Present)
- Listed in Top 5% "Super Lawyers" in Virginia (2006-Present)
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- "Top Medical Malpractice Lawyer", Richmond Magazine (1999)
- Speaker / Lecturer, medical malpractice, insurance risk management and trial advocacy skills
- Editor and Co-Author, Medical Malpractice Law in Virginia, Virginia Continuing Legal Education Foundation
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Henrico County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys
- Volunteer, Greater Richmond YMCA (Christmas Outreach, Back to School and Planting Seeds of Hope)
- Member, Aquatics Committee, Tuckahoe YMCA
- Founder and Coach, YMCA Tribe Program
- Former Den Leader, Cub Scouts
- Judge, James River Aquatics Association – strokes and turns
- Medical Malpractice – Birth Injury: Cerebral Palsy & Brain Injury
- Medical Malpractice - Failure to Diagnose: Spinal Cord Injury
- Medical Malpractice - Surgical Error: Botched Eyelid Surgery
- Medical Malpractice - Birth Injury: Broken Neck
- Medical Malpractice - Failure to Treat: Perforated Colon
- Medical Malpractice - Failure to Treat: Pneumonia
- Medical Malpractice - Gastric Bypass Surgery: Negligent Response to Infection
- Medical Malpractice - Failure to Diagnose: Infection
- "Medical Malpractice Law: What you Need to Know," presented to the Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists, Annual Winter Meeting, February, 2012.
- "The Rise of Corporate Medicine and its Impact on Liability Reform," American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys, San Diego, California, 2011.
- "Medical Malpractice Litigation and Update," Cardiology Grand Rounds, Sentara Norfolk Hospital, Norfolk, Virginia, 2011.
- "The Art of Conducting Opening With Summation," Trial Tool Box, Jackson Hole Wyoming, March, 2010.
- "Torts Made Perfect", October 2008.
- "Speaking Through Your Expert" Virginia Trial Lawyer's Association, 2008.
- "Use of Technology in the Courtroom," Advanced Auto Retreat, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Charlottesville, Virginia, July 2006.
- "Professional Liability Law," guest lecturer, University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law, 2006.
- Plaintiff's attorney in Pre-Bench Orientation Training, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, 2006.
- Guest Speaker-American College of Gastroenterology, the Virginia Gastroenterological Society and Old Dominion Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates-Gastroenterology 2006-Virginia Style, ACG Regional Postgraduate Course, Williamsburg, Virginia, September 2006.
- "Star Wars: Using Technology to Present Your Evidence", speaker, VTLA Solo & Small Firm Conference, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Williamsburg Lodge & Convention Center, 2006.
- "Tackling Advanced Medical Malpractice Issues in Virginia", National Business Institute, 2005.
- "Evidence for Trial Lawyers", Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, 2005.
- "Keys to Successful Pre-Trial Preparation in Virginia", National Business Institute, 2004.
- "Bariatric Surgery Litigation", American Trial Lawyers Association, 2004.
- "Successful Strategies for Medical Malpractice Cases in Virginia", National Business Institute, 2004.
- "Handling Medical Negligence Cases in Virginia", National Business Institute, 2003.
- "How to Litigate Your First Civil Trial in Virginia", National Business Institute, 2002.
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Virginia Civil Trial Procedure, T.C. Williams School of Law, Spring 1995.
- Frequent Lecturer to Physician and Insurance Groups on Risk Management and Professional Liability.
Mic is married to Virginia Epes McConnell. The couple lives in Richmond, Virginia. Their son is a student at a state university and their daughter attends public high school.
Mic is active in athletics. Formerly certified in personal training, he has competed in swimming, triathlon and bodybuilding events. In 1992, Mic received a Guinness Book world record for swimming in the longest continuous relay swim - 300 consecutive hours. He is a long distance, open water swimmer, having swum across the Chesapeake Bay (4.4 miles) five times and across the mouth of the Potomac River (7.5 miles) twice. Most recently, Mic swam across the Potomac River on June 5, 2010 and across the Chesapeake Bay eight days later.
Mic also enjoys political and social history, science fiction and philosophy.