Malcolm P. McConnell, III
Malcolm "Mic" McConnell is the lead medical malpractice attorney at Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen. He has settled or tried cases in virtually every medical specialty since he began practicing law in 1987. He has been rated by other attorneys as Martindale-Hubbell AV, the highest rating available for competency and ethics. He has been listed in Virginia’s Super Lawyers every year since 2006, and in Best Lawyers in America every year since 2007. Best Lawyers in American named Mic Richmond’s Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year in 2013.
He is one of the few attorneys in America who is Board Certified in Medical Malpractice Law, by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys. He also serves on the Board of Governors of the ABPLA. Mic is also an active member of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, is Chair of the Medical Malpractice Legislative Subcommittee and serves on VTLA’s Board of Governors.
Mic frequently lectures to medical professionals and to lawyers on issues of medical malpractice law and trial advocacy and serves on the faculty of the Virginia College of Trial Advocacy. Mic also helped write and lobby on behalf a new law to extend time limits for cancer victims to file medical malpractice suits to ensure their rights do not expire before they are aware of their illness.
- B.A. University of Richmond (1984)
- J.D. T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond (1987)
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- Partner and trial attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (2001-Present)
- Attorney, Shewmake, Baronian & McConnell (1996-2001)
- In-House Counsel, St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company (1993-1996)
- In-House Counsel, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company (1992-1993)
- Attorney, Coates & Davenport, Richmond, Virginia (1987-1992)
- Instructor, Virginia Civil Procedure, University of Richmond School of Law
- Williamsburg Society Member - Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (2015)
- Named Best Lawyers 2013 Richmond Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs "Lawyer of the Year"
- Best Lawyers in America (2007-Present)
- Virginia Super Lawyers (Top 5% of Virginia Attorneys) (2006-Present)
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- "Top Medical Malpractice Lawyer", Richmond Magazine (1999)
- Speaker / Lecturer, medical malpractice, insurance risk management and trial advocacy skills
- Editor and Co-Author, Medical Malpractice Law in Virginia, Virginia Continuing Legal Education Foundation
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Henrico County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys
- Volunteer, Greater Richmond YMCA (Christmas Outreach, Back to School and Planting Seeds of Hope)
- Member, Aquatics Committee, Tuckahoe YMCA
- Founder and Coach, YMCA Tribe Program
- Former Den Leader, Cub Scouts
- Judge, James River Aquatics Association – strokes and turns
- Medical Malpractice – Birth Injury: Cerebral Palsy & Brain Injury
- Medical Malpractice - Failure to Diagnose: Spinal Cord Injury
- Medical Malpractice - Surgical Error: Botched Eyelid Surgery
- Medical Malpractice - Birth Injury: Broken Neck
- Medical Malpractice - Failure to Treat: Perforated Colon
- Medical Malpractice - Failure to Treat: Pneumonia
- Medical Malpractice - Gastric Bypass Surgery: Negligent Response to Infection
- Medical Malpractice - Failure to Diagnose: Infection
- "Trial from Start to Finish," Guest Lecturer on Closing Argument, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Richmond, Virginia, September 2014
- "Blame the Patient - The Favored Defense," American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys Annual Meeting, Miami, Florida, May 2014.
- "Medical Malpractice: "There But for the Grace of God..."," presented to the Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists, Annual Winter Meeting, February 2014.
- "The Perils of Social Networking," presented to Division of Child Support Enforcement, Richmond, Virginia, October 2013
- "Medical Malpractice Law: What You Need to Know," Virginia Commonwealth University Annual Pain Management and Spine Symposium, Richmond, Virginia, October 2013.
- "Best Trial Practices," Richmond Bar Association, April 2012
- "The Perils of Social Networking," Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, March 2012
- "Medical Malpractice Law: What you Need to Know," presented to the Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists, Annual Winter Meeting, February, 2012.
- "The Rise of Corporate Medicine and its Impact on Liability Reform," American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys, San Diego, California, 2011.
- "Medical Malpractice Litigation and Update," Cardiology Grand Rounds, Sentara Norfolk Hospital, Norfolk, Virginia, 2011.
- "The Art of Conducting Opening With Summation," Trial Tool Box, Jackson Hole Wyoming, March, 2010.
- "Torts Made Perfect", October 2008.
- "Speaking Through Your Expert" Virginia Trial Lawyer's Association, 2008.
- "Use of Technology in the Courtroom," Advanced Auto Retreat, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Charlottesville, Virginia, July 2006.
- "Professional Liability Law," guest lecturer, University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law, 2006.
- Plaintiff's attorney in Pre-Bench Orientation Training, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, 2006.
- Guest Speaker-American College of Gastroenterology, the Virginia Gastroenterological Society and Old Dominion Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates-Gastroenterology 2006-Virginia Style, ACG Regional Postgraduate Course, Williamsburg, Virginia, September 2006.
- "Star Wars: Using Technology to Present Your Evidence", speaker, VTLA Solo & Small Firm Conference, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Williamsburg Lodge & Convention Center, 2006.
- "Tackling Advanced Medical Malpractice Issues in Virginia", National Business Institute, 2005.
- "Evidence for Trial Lawyers", Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, 2005.
- "Keys to Successful Pre-Trial Preparation in Virginia", National Business Institute, 2004.
- "Bariatric Surgery Litigation", American Trial Lawyers Association, 2004.
- "Successful Strategies for Medical Malpractice Cases in Virginia", National Business Institute, 2004.
- "Handling Medical Negligence Cases in Virginia", National Business Institute, 2003.
- "How to Litigate Your First Civil Trial in Virginia", National Business Institute, 2002.
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Virginia Civil Trial Procedure, T.C. Williams School of Law, Spring 1995.
- Frequent Lecturer to Physician and Insurance Groups on Risk Management and Professional Liability.
Mic is married to Virginia Epes McConnell. The couple has two children and reside in Richmond, VA.
Mic is active in athletics. Formerly certified in personal training, he has competed in swimming, triathlon and bodybuilding events. In 1992, Mic received a Guinness Book world record for swimming in the longest continuous relay swim - 300 consecutive hours. He is a long distance, open water swimmer, having swum across the Chesapeake Bay (4.4 miles) five times and across the mouth of the Potomac River (7.5 miles) twice. Most recently, Mic swam across the Potomac River on June 5, 2010 and across the Chesapeake Bay eight days later.
Mic also enjoys political and social history, science fiction and philosophy.