What to do after your child is injured at day care | Allen & Allen

What to do after your child is injured at day care

You arrive at day care to pick up your child, only to find that they have suffered some sort of injury. When your child is hurt at day care, it can be stressful; not only for you, but also for your child. You probably have many questions – chief among them, “What do I do now?”

cute Asian toddler at day care

If you notice the injury while you and your child are still on the day care premises, you should ask your child’s caregiver about the circumstances surrounding the injury. If he or she doesn’t have an explanation, you should speak to a director or supervisor about the injury. After these conversations, you should photograph the injuries. These pictures can help serve as proof later if you and your attorney elect to pursue your claims.

If you don’t notice the injury until after you and your child have left the day care, you can contact a director or supervisor at the day care directly. If he or she doesn’t answer, leave a voicemail describing what you see and ask that he or she get back to you as soon as possible.

Next, you should seek any necessary medical treatment your child might require as a result of the injury. It is important that you save any and all documents generated as a result of your child’s medical treatment, including the receipts. These documents will help determine the amount of compensation you are entitled to, should you pursue litigation for the injury. Depending on the type of injury and its severity, you may also receive compensation for emotional distress and lost wages.

Once your child has received all appropriate medical treatment, you should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer regarding your child’s day care injury. A lawyer can help discuss and evaluate your claims, and can help you navigate the complex laws surrounding day care injuries. Your lawyer can conduct an investigation and will be able to counsel you as to the appropriate course of action regarding your case.

If your child has been injured due to the negligence of child care providers, call Allen & Allen today for a free consultation, at 866-388-1307.

About the Author: Jamie Kessel is a Richmond, Virginia personal injury lawyer with Allen & Allen. He is experienced in handling complex personal injury cases involving distracted drivers, brain injurywrongful death, and day care injuries. He works in the Richmond office of Allen & Allen.