Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect Attorneys in Charlottesville
Placing a family member in a nursing home can be a difficult choice. It is often a necessary decision when family members can no longer provide the level of care their loved ones need.
Naturally, it is expected that residents will be taken good care of inside nursing homes. Unfortunately, this is not always true. The National Center for Elder Abuse reports that one in 10 Americans 60 or older have experienced abuse or neglect in some way inside nursing homes. Sadly, this abuse is often not reported. For every one case of elder abuse reported, five or more cases go unreported. And the issue is projected to get worse as populations continue to age.
The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, an advocate for nursing home residents, states that physical abuse is most commonly reported. Physical abuse and neglect can present in multitude of forms, including:
- Bed sores
- Weight loss
- Behaving withdrawn
- Lack of hygiene
- Changes in temperament
What actions do I take if a loved one is suffering from nursing home abuse or neglect?
According to Virginia law, you may be entitled to monetary damages if you or another relative has suffered from abuse or neglect in a nursing home. These damages can include compensation for the following conditions.
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
- Future medical expenses
If you have reason to believe someone has been a victim of abuse, report the abuse to someone with authority. Make sure to document your findings in writing and mark the date. Once you have made the report, be sure that the issue has stopped. If your voice is not being heard, contact resources such as Adult Protective Services, the Department of Health, or an Ombudsman program in your area.
Why choose the Charlottesville office of Allen & Allen?
Dealing with nursing home neglect or abuse can be very stressful and upsetting. This makes choosing the correct attorneys to support you and your loved ones all the more important. The experienced attorneys at Allen & Allen have dealt with numerous cases of nursing home abuse and neglect. Cases can be complicated, involving fall injuries, choking, bed sores, malnourishment, medication error, sexual assault, elopement, and wandering. With 110 years of experience, Allen & Allen is dedicated to protecting clients and fighting for their fair treatment and compensation.
Nursing home abuse and neglect resources
- Is your loved one receiving sufficient nursing home care?
- Avoiding forced arbitration of nursing home claims
- Preventing falls in independent older adults
Our Charlottesville nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys
Free consultation for your nursing home abuse and neglect case
We are happy to answer any questions you have. We treat all potential clients with dignity and are sure to provide a fair assessment of your potential case, all at no cost to you.
Working with a local Charlottesville lawyer is ideal. Allen & Allen has seven offices, so there’s always a law firm close to you, making it easier for you and your loved ones. Your consultation is always free, and your details will always remain confidential.
Charlottesville charities we partner with
- Hometown Heroes: Allen & Allen calls for nominations and votes for people (in Charlottesville and beyond) that make Virginia a better place to live, work and play. We then celebrate them in the media and host a party in their honor.
- Legal Food Frenzy: The Charlottesville office, as well as our other offices, raise money and collect non-perishables for local food banks.
- All Blessings Flow collects, cleans, refurbishes, and redistributes medical equipment to those in need in Charlottesville, Albemarle, and surrounding counties. They offer these services free of charge. They received a donation from the Allen & Allen Cares: Helping Our Heroes giving initiative.
- George E. Allen Academic Scholarship: Allen & Allen accepts nominations for dedicated high school seniors who have worked to overcome hardships. Winners from Charlottesville and other locations are invited to join the firm for a dinner in celebration, and most importantly, receive an academic scholarship for their achievements.
Other Practice Areas
- Aviation Accidents
- Boating Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Camp Lejeune Water Contamination
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Dog Bites
- Foodborne Illness
- Impaired Driving
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Toxic Exposure
- Tractor-Trailer Accidents
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Workers’ Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- Zantac Cancer
- 3M Defective Earplugs