GivingTuesday began in 2012 as a simple idea to encourage people to “do good.” Since then it has grown into a global movement, encouraging people to transform their communities.
At Allen & Allen, service to the community has been at the center of our mission since our founding in 1910. As a firm, we continue to support local and national causes, including Mother’s Against Drunk Driving (MADD), FeedMore and other area food banks, the Centro de Justicia de Asistencia Legal, and more.
One of our favorite ways of highlighting local causes is through our Héroes de la ciudad natal program, which features everyday people improving our communities. Many of our heroes perform their great work through various organizations. If you are looking for a way to give back this GivingTuesday, consider making a donation to one of the worthy operations of our 2019 Allen & Allen Hometown Heroes:
- REAL LIFE:
- Founded by Dr. Sarah Scarbrough, REAL LIFE Assists those impacted by incarceration, homelessness or addiction to cultivate stronger family relationships, gain meaningful employment and improve personal interaction skills. Additionally, the organization provides case management, an expectant mother program and numerous other services, all while building a foundation of faith. To donate, click aquí.
- Journey House:
- Founded by Michael Tillem, Journey House provides resources to recovering addicts, including housing, transportation, peer recovery programs, counseling and health care services. To donate, click aquí.
- Comfort Zone Camp:
- Founded by Lynne Hughes, Comfort Zone Camp empowers children who have experienced grief to fully realize their capacity to heal, grow and lead more fulfilling lives. The weekend-long camps are held across the country and are free of charge to the campers. To donate or volunteer your time, click aquí. To purchase a ticket to their 21st Anniversary Grief Relief Gala, which will be held at the American Civil War Museum in Richmond on March 21, 2020 from 6:30 to 11 p.m., haga clic aquí.
- Caring for Creatures:
- Making a Difference for You, (MAD4U):
- Founded by Gail Crawford, MAD4YU provides one-on-one free tutoring services that teach computer literacy and study skills to underserved youths, adults and senior citizens. To donate or get involved, click aquí.
- All Blessings Flow:
- Veterans on Track Foundation:
- Founded by veteran Rick Ecker, the Veterans on Track Foundation transforms the lives of veterans by furnishing their homes with the support of donations and volunteers. To donate to the foundation, click aquí.
- Northside Coalition for Children:
- Founded by Shonda Harris-Muhammed, the Northside Coalition for Children provides free school supplies to any child attending public school. To donate, click aquí.
- Founded by Gail Hyder Wiley, Car2Vote matches people who need a ride to their polling place to a nonpartisan volunteer driver in the Charlottesville/Albemarle area. To volunteer to be a driver on the next election day, click aquí.
- The Friendship Circle:
- Provides monthly activities to families, children and teens with disabilities in order to create more meaningful social experiences throughout the Richmond community. To donate, click aquí.
Find more worthy Hometown Hero causes, or learn about the annual program, by visiting our website at allenandallen.com/hometown-heroes.