Jaclyn Marie Roller Ryan received the honor of being selected as the 2015 Virginia Teacher of the Year on October 10th at an evening banquet in Richmond, Virginia. Ms. Ryan is one of eight Virginia Regional Teachers of the Year for 2015. She is an agricultural education teacher and Future Farmers of America (FFA) advisor at Signal Knob Middle School in Shenandoah County Public Schools where she has taught for nine years. Ms. Ryan earned her Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Education from Virginia Tech and has completed graduate work at Shenandoah University and Eastern Mennonite University.
Jaclyn Ryan has brought local, state and national recognition to her school through her leadership of Signal Knob’s FFA program. The programs have received multiple awards including Number One Middle School FFA Program in the United States for the 2013-14 school year. She is President of the Virginia State FFA Leadership Camp Board of Directors and a member of the Virginia Association of Agricultural Educators. Ms. Ryan is active in her community and organizes an annual FFA Veterans Day Breakfast for over 200 people through the Strasburg American Legion Auxiliary. Focusing on her student’s achievements, she delivers presentations to the community regarding her students’ accomplishments on an annual basis.
The Virginia Teacher of the Year program recognizes top educators from across Virginia. The personal injury law firm of Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen has been involved with the program for over 20 years. R. Clayton Allen, a Partner with the Firm, presented Ms. Ryan with a check for $2500 on behalf of the Allen Law Firm during the Friday evening ceremony. Melinda South, an attorney with the Firm, serves on the Virginia Teacher of the Year Selection Panel.
The 2015 Selection Panel reviewed teacher portfolios of candidates nominated by the state’s administrative regions. These portfolios highlighted the educators’ accomplishments, educational values and community involvement. Each of the eight Regional Teachers of the Year is also interviewed by the Selection Panel that included 2014 Virginia Teacher of the Year, Melissa Porfirio, in addition to leaders from the education and business community throughout Virginia.
Congratulations to the 2015 Regional Virginia Teachers of the Year:
- (Region 1) Tara L. Brunyansky, a chemistry teacher at James River High School in Chesterfield County
- (Region 2) Bevin K. Reinen, a first-grade teacher at Three Oaks Elementary School in Virginia Beach
- (Region 3) Jennifer H. Worrell, a fourth-grade language arts teacher at Petsworth Elementary School in Gloucester County
- (Region 4) VATOY 2015 Jaclyn M. Roller, an agriscience teacher at Signal Knob Middle School in Shenandoah County
- (Region 5) Gerin E. Martin, an early childhood special education teacher at Hutcherson Early Learning Program in Lynchburg
- (Region 6) Matthew T. Newton, a grades 3-5 special education teacher at Fishburn Park Elementary in Roanoke
- (Region 7) Mark T. Merz, a pre-kindergarten teacher at Oak Point Elementary in Smyth County
- (Region 8) Kelly S. Jones, a world history and sociology teacher at Greensville County High in Greensville County