What should I do with my car after an accident?

Clayton Allen, Richmond, VA Personal Injury Attorney

What should I do with my car after an accident 

Regardless of whether or not you have been severely injured, there is always much confusion regarding what happens to your car after an accident. You may be asking yourself some of the following questions.

  • Should I contact my insurance company?
  • Should I contact the other drivers' insurance company?
  • Where do I take my car to have it repaired?
  • What should I do if I was injured in the accident?

Attorney Clayton Allen answers these questions and others surrounding what to do about the damage to your car after an accident.

1. Contact the other persons insurance company

If you were not at-fault in the accident, contact the other drivers insurance company and see if they will send an adjuster to assess the damage to your car. If they won't, or if it is going to take too long, you may consider having an appraiser from your own insurance company come out under your collision coverage. Remember: you have the right to have your car repaired at a place of your choosing.

2. Get a rental car if necessary

The law in Virginia allows you to get a rental car for a reasonable period of time if your car is damaged and not driveable. However, you may have to pay for the rental car up front and then wait to be reimbursed.

3. If you have been injured, you may need to contact a personal injury attorney

An experienced personal injury lawyer can explain your legal rights to you and help you handle your claim. Dealing with insurance companies is a very complex process and it's virtually impossible to deal with a sizeable claim on your own.


We hope that this information is helpful in determining what to do with your car after an accident. If your injuries are serious, we do encourage you to contact a lawyer who is experienced in dealing with personal injury claims.

About The Speaker: Clayton Allen has been helping clients with all types of personal injury claims for more than 30 years. He is highly respected in the legal community for his meticulous research and legal analysis. Outside of the courtroom Clayton serves on the Board of the International Hospital of Children, an organization which provides healthcare to children in underserved countries.

Related Articles
Related Blog Posts
Related Practice Areas
Tel : (804) 353-1200
Fax : (804) 257-7599
37.580754 -77.493777
Tel : (804) 733-8753
Fax : (804) 733-8767
37.225366 -77.406431
Tel : (804) 746-4900
Fax : (804) 746-2315
37.609968 -77.353275
Tel : (540) 786-4100
Fax : (540) 786-9585
38.292658 -77.522033
Tel : (804) 836-1170
Fax : (804) 836-1189
37.65165 -77.615287
Tel : (540) 657-9222
Fax : (540) 657-9522
38.476396 -77.421376
Tel : (804) 745-1200
Fax : (804) 745-8997
37.410489 -77.648702
Tel : (434) 295-4961
Fax : (434) 284-4299
38.087828 -78.471035