Look Out For The Other Guy - Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

With the economy constantly in flux, it’s easy to find ourselves looking over our shoulder for what comes next. What comes next could be an out of control car coming into your lane.

There's not much you can do to prevent a car crash caused by someone else, but there is a lot you can do to protect yourself from the consequences of being hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.


The health of the economy has a direct connection to the number of uninsured cars on the road. According to The Insurance Research Council, for each 1% increase in the unemployment rate, there is a resulting ¾% increase in the uninsured motorist rate. In 2014, the average number of uninsured cars on the road in the United States was 13%.[1] That's a sobering average of one in eight vehicles. As these numbers ebb and flow, so do your chances of being involved in a collision with an uninsured motorist.

How can you protect your family against loss from an uninsured motorist? The first thing you can do is locate and examine the Declarations page of your family automobile insurance policy. The Declarations page is often the opening page of the policy. It has the name of the insurance company at the top, your name and address as the insured, and a listing of all the vehicles insured by the policy. Near each vehicle listed you will find the financial limits of coverage provided by the policy.

The next thing to do is to determine whether you have sufficient limits of insurance coverage on your policy. The two basic coverages on every policy are Liability Coverage and Uninsured/Underinsured Coverage. The first listed is Liability Coverage, usually listed in an amount such as 25/50, 50/100, or 100/300. This means that if you are at fault and hit someone, the company will pay up to these limit amounts multiplied by $1000. For example, 25/50 means your insurance company will pay up to $25,000 for any one person injured in the accident, and up to $50,000 total for all persons injured in one crash. 25/50 is the minimum amount required by Virginia law, but $25,000 does not go very far in these days of expensive medical care.

The other required coverage is Uninsured Motorist and Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM). Your insurance company must provide UM/UIM limits equal to the Liability limits, unless you choose lower UM/UIM limits. Choosing lower limits in this area of coverage could be a terrible idea that leaves you in debt if you are ever involved in a collision with an uninsured driver. UM/UIM Coverage could be all that stands between you and possible financial disaster if you or a family member are seriously hurt in a car crash.UM/UIM coverage obligates your company to step in and provide insurance up to your UM/UIM policy limits if the other driver who causes injury has no insurance or has a lower limit than you do. UM/UIM coverage covers every member of your household even if you or another member is hurt as a passenger in someone else's car.

Take a close look at your UM/UIM coverage. What if you were badly hurt in a crash and couldn't work for several months? Is the amount of your UM/UIM coverage adequate to compensate you for your injuries and losses? If not, call your agent and ask about increasing the limits. The cost of additional coverage is surprisingly little when you consider the next out of control car may not be insured. 



Tel : (804) 353-1200
Fax : (804) 257-7599
37.580754 -77.493777
Tel : (804) 733-8753
Fax : (804) 733-8767
37.225366 -77.406431
Tel : (804) 746-4900
Fax : (804) 746-2315
37.609968 -77.353275
Tel : (540) 786-4100
Fax : (540) 786-9585
38.292658 -77.522033
Tel : (804) 836-1170
Fax : (804) 836-1189
37.65165 -77.615287
Tel : (540) 657-9222
Fax : (540) 657-9522
38.476396 -77.421376
Tel : (804) 745-1200
Fax : (804) 745-8997
37.410489 -77.648702
Tel : (434) 295-4961
Fax : (434) 284-4299
38.087828 -78.471035